Total Page Views

Tuesday 22 March 2011

Monday - Brew Day

I wasn't very satisfied with my efforts last Monday so I thought I would try the same brew again with some slight modifications. I dissolved 3000 grams of dried malt extract in 10 litres of water at 40C and placed in the boiler. To this I added a further 8 litres of water and 240 grams of crystal malt and 22 grams of chocolate malt. I brought this to the boil and added 33 grams of Challenger hops. A further 80 minutes of boiling and I added 3 grams of Irish moss and allowed to boil for a further 10 minutes. I left the wort in the boiler to cool down for 90 minutes. Then I ran the wort off into a fermenting vessel containing 4 litres of cold bottled water. I then topped up to 20 litres (I usually top up to about 24-25 litres) and pitched the yeast. After about 4 hours the brew was bubbling away very nicely in my fermenting cupboard. No goblins were to be seen so I pronounce another successful brew. Next brew day will probably be Monday 28 March 11.

Out with Pete tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Followers