Total Page Views

Thursday 24 February 2011

Wednesday - Out With Pete

Keynsham was in our sights for this Wednesday's pub stroll. I caught the number 318 bus. Good job that I checked the time table as this service now runs about 10 earlier than the last time I visited Keynsham. Thinking that I would have some spare time before going to the pub I decided that I would exchange two gas cylinders and buy some faggots. Before I could get to the brew shop I bumped into Pete. I scurried off to the brew shop while Pete strolled majestically to the butchers for to buy some faggots. I purchased a float for one of my King Keg barrels that does not have one. A special treat because it has been sitting patiently in my brewing shed without any complaint or moaning. I also exchanged my CO2 cylinders. Scurrying out of the brew shop I made my way to the butchers where Pete was still waiting in the queue. Pete volunteered to get me my faggots as well as his own. We got our faggots and proceeded in a northernly direction and then a easternly direction and then a westernly direction straight into the Old Bank pub. Here we studied the beers on offer and settled for a Barnstormer 4.5%. A dark bitter with a medium head and good lacing down to the last drop. It was then onto the Ship Inn a nice pub with friendly staff and good selection of real ale. The Ship had about 5 real ales on offer. We zoomed in on the Lions Roar 3.8% a Banks Brewery creation. This amber bitter was served with a light head but had good lacing. A pleasant pint that went down well. We decided to stay put for the next pint which was a Wychwood Dirty Tackle 4.0%. A dark amber bitter with a hoppy somewhat spicy aroma and hoppy taste. It recalled the taste of Hobgoblin and so was very enjoyable. On then to the Trout Tavern another pleasant pub but not a lot of choice. Only Marstons Pedigree or Marstons Bitter. We settled on the Bitter 3.8%. A nice amber bitter without that Pedigree sulphur aftertaste that I don't like very much. It had a small head and very little lacing. A decent enough beer but would only drink it if nothing else was available. However, we were getting towards the end of our beer and my bus was at least 40 minutes away. So we decided to have a half each of the Bitter. Oh well, needs must and all that jazz.

And so the pub stroll came to an end without too much ranting. Caught the next 318 bus to Kingswood just in time for moussaka and chips with mushy peas. Lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Followers