Total Page Views

Saturday 13 November 2010

Friday - Brew Day

Being a Friday it was yet again time to create a new brew although I am still a little limited by the remaining hops I have vowed to use up. I have settled for another low ABV pale ale. Using Golding and Styrian Goliding hops together with dried light malt extract. I started with about 23 litres of water at 40C into which I mixed 2684 grams of dried malt extract. I brought this to the boil and added 45 grams of Golding hops. 75 minutes later I added 15 grams of Styrian Golding hops and 3 grams of Irish moss. After a total of 90 minutes of boiling this mixture I turned the boiler off and left for a further 90 minutes for the wort to cool and for the dregs to settle on the bottom. I then added about 5 litres of previously boiled cold water to the fermenting vessel and poured off the wort into this. When the boiler was empty I topped up the FV to 23 litres with the remaining cold water. This was then left in the cold so the temperature could drop to below 30C. When the wort was at about 28C I added rehydrated yeast and stirred in and placed in the fermenting cupboard. A slight hiccup. Even though I had left the lid off the boiler I still had a slight over boil. This was because I put 23 litres of water in the boiler instead of the usual 17 litres. My boiler has a 50 litre capacity but anything over 20 litres will produce a boil over. Next brew day I will try 18 litres and see if that cures the problem.

This morning I checked and lo and behold the brew was bubbling away very nicely. Always a good sign I find.

I have heard from the three old gits in New Zealand CLICK HERE to read about their adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Followers