Total Page Views

Tuesday 15 March 2011

Monday - Brew Day

Started the brew as usual with 10 litres of warm water at 40C into which I dissolved 3000 grams of light dried malt extract. This was placed into the boiler and topped up with a further 8 litres of water. Into this I placed 240 grams of crystal malt. This was brought to the boil and 33 grams of Challenger hops added. This mixture was boiled for a further 80 minutes when I added 3 grams of Irish Moss. A further boil of ten minutes and the boiler was switched off and allowed to cool. After 90 minutes I added 4 litres of bottled water to the fermentation vessel. The wort from the boiler was then ran off into this water. The FV was then topped up to about 22 litres with bottled water and the rehydrated yeast pitched. After a good stir the top was secured and the FV placed into my temperature controlled cupboard and left.

This morning the brew was bubbling away nicely. I can definitely say that the goblins have been banished, at least for this brew. Although the original gravity of 1.036 was below the expected 1.043. However, I think that I have figured it all out. There is not enough wort getting into the FV from the boiler and then I am added to much water. I shall rectify this situation next Monday. I will make the same brew but be more careful with the wort and the added water.

Tomorrow is pub strolling day with Pete. I am looking forward to this very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Followers