Total Page Views

Thursday 10 February 2011

Wednesday - Pie and Pub Day

The pieman was missing yet again when I visited St Nicholas farmers market. So I tracked another stall that is a permanent feature of the St Nicholas market and bought my pie from them. It was here that I spotted the pieman making himself a cup of tea. Nothing wrong with that but what is wrong with taking a flask and selling a few more pies and more important keeping your customers happy. Oh well, service is one of the biggest selling areas and you just don't get it in this country.

Anyway met Pete in the Commercial Rooms and had a pint of Coyote 4.3% from Wolf Brewery. A nice bitter with a good head, golden yellow in colour with good lacing. The aroma was not there but it was slightly sweet with a good bitter aftertaste. It felt a little gassy and smooth in the mouth. Pete and I talked for a while mainly about his ceiling which I was glad to hear Pete had sorted out. Onward then to the Bank Tavern. Here we tried a pint of St Georges Worcester Sauce 4.3%. An amber beer with a light head and light lacing. There was a slight hoppy aroma. It was slightly gassy in the mouth and the first couple of mouthfuls were definitely but very slightly taste of Worcester sauce. In our endeavour to find as many pubs as possible that sell good real ales we entered the Drawbridge. This pub only had two real ales, Greene King IPA and Brains SA. There also about 25 other taps serving lager and smooth beers. The IPA and the SA were probably keg as opposed to cask beers. So we decided to leave without sampling anything. Next stop then was the 3 Sugar Loaves. A decent pub at the bottom of the Christmas Steps which looked as if it had recently had a refit. We tried a pint of Betty Stogs. I don't know what the ABV is supposed to be but it felt like a 4% to me. It is an amber beer with a small head but good lacing but a bit heavy in the mouth. With one more pub left we opted for the White Lion which was near to our bus stops. Here we had a pint of Wickwar Rite Flanker 4.3%. A ruby beer with a nice head. However, I still think that the beer is served too warm.

I finished my beer and waited until I could see my bus approaching and ran out to get it. However, I heard a voice behind me calling my name. It was Pete holding my bag of goodies which contained my pie. Which was eagerly devoured for lunch. I had a little nap on the bus and got home in time for an excellent cottage pie and fresh peas. Tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Followers