Total Page Views

Tuesday 15 February 2011

Monday - Brew Day

This Monday I started off my first attempt to brew a clone of Burton Bridge Bitter. Because I was having trouble with the original gravity of my latest brews I upped the dried malt extract (DME) from 2610 grams to 2700 grams and the sugar from 170 grams to 180 grams. I went the usual route and dissolved the DME in 10 litres of water at 40C and then topped up with 8 litres of water. Added 22 grams of Challenger and 15 grams of Target hops when the wort came to the boil and added the white sugar after 45 minutes of boiling. After a further 40 minutes I added the Irish moss and boiled for a further 10 minutes. I allowed the wort to cool to 80C and added 7 grams Styrian Golding hops. After another hour or thereabouts I added 10 litres of bottled mineral water to the sterilised fermenting vessel and ran the wort off into this. I then topped up to about 22 litres with bottled mineral water and pitched the rehydrated yeast. I took an hydrometer reading which came out at 1041. This should give an ABV of about 4.2%. The FV was then placed in my fermenting cupboard and the lid and air trap screwed on.

The brew was bubbling away very nicely this morning so I claim a success with the brew. Goblins were noticeable by their absence. I will test the gravity in about 1 week when I will also taste it. A rotten job but someone has to do it. I will probably put the brew into a pressure barrel next Thursday.

Next brew day will more than likely be next Monday 21 February 2011. Watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Followers