Total Page Views

Thursday 2 December 2010

Wednesdays - Back On Track

I travelled by bus to Bristol. I caught the number 42 which has replaced the number 41 which has been withdrawn. Confused? Keep reading. On my way back I knew I had to catch the 42 or 43. If I caught I caught the 43 I would have a 10 minute walk from the bus stop to my house. If I caught the 42 I would only have a less than 1 minute walk. Fine! You would think. I went to the bus stop that were used by the the 43 and 41 services. These numbers were not listed on the information/timetable. After walking up and down the centre looking for the correct bus stop I gave up just in time to see the 42 go past me and disappear up a side road. I knew there were some bus stops in that road so I made a brave effort to run after it. Alas the traffic lights beat me and knowing that Bristol drivers don't take prisoners I barely made it back to the safety of the pavement. When the lights changed I crossed the road and found the 42 and 43 bus stops. I waited for about 20 minutes before a 43 arrived. Not idea but a little walk at the end of the line would not hurt me. As I was getting my ticket from a machine which was totally reluctant to issue one I noticed that a 42 had pulled up. I made my apologies to the bus driver and made a dash for the other bus. Now I know what you are thinking. He didn't manage to get to the 42 before it pulled away and turning back missed the 43 also. But no, dear, probably confused and long suffering reader, I did manage to get onto the 42 and it pulled away and around the 43. As I have written before the public transport operated by First, in the Bristol area is very bad indeed. Buses are frequently late, noisy, dirty and driven by surely drivers. No wonder the city is slowly choking to death on cars and fumes. Still enough of that rant. Onward to the days outing.

After an uneventful bus journey I made my way to the Farmers market in order to purchase a Pie Minister beef and kidney. Not having had one for 4 weeks I was beginning to feel the pangs of withdrawal that were hammering and playing tricks inside my stomach. The stall was laden and groaning under the weight of wonderful mouth watering pies but alas the man whose job it was to serve these delectable items was missing. The lady running an adjoining stall tried to help but was unsure as to which were the PM pies, as was I. Determined to have a PM and not some other pie I waited being reassured by the lady that the man would be back in a few minutes. 15 Minutes later I, and several other customers who were waiting in the biting cold gave up and sought warmth. I was a bit miffed because, although I intended to return, the very popular PM pies may have sold out. So I sought succour in the warm bowels of the Commercial Rooms and there was Pete wrapped up like a wayward but cold gnome. He was busy fiddling with his wrist watch. The back was off and he was trying to replace the battery which didn't want to go into the battery cavity and insisted on slipping about on the table. After securing a beer token from Pete I went to the bar and lo and bloody behold got ignored by the bar staff who served an interloper before me. This is a very bad habit at nearly all the Weatherspoons I have visited over the years and I do wish they would address it. So if this has happened to you please complain to Weatherspoons stating the location, the time and the what happened. I have.

Another day another rant. Back to the beer. I ordered an Adnams Yuletide 4.5% which had that distinctive lovely Adnams bitter tang. I enjoyed that one very much. After listening to Pete's magical tales of 3 old gits down under in New Zealand we drank up our Yuletide and headed for the pie stall.  By this time the man had arrived by this time and he hadn't run out of PMs so I got one quick and it will form today's lunch. Braving the bitter cold (get it) we arrived at the Seven Stars and surveyed the real ale offerings. Arbor Ales had a couple of pumps on but we settled for the Bushcraft at 3.9%. Their web site is not up to date. However, I enjoyed my pint of Bushcraft. A very tasty light coloured ale. Next on the tasting menu was Plunder 4.8% from the Jolly Boat brewery in Bedford. They don't appear to have their own website. However, Plunder is a good ale and I will be drinking it again if I come across it. The next and last beer to pass our lips was Keystone, Xmas Pale Ale. I can't find it on their website but I think it was about 5%. Anyway Pete and I finished our beer and make our way to our respective bus stops. See earlier for my adventures in getting home.

Tonight is curry night at the Royal Oak in Staple Hill. Wonder if I will have any rants, moans or other news from tonight. Look out for my next exciting posting. I am looking forward to it because I think Jim will be in attendance and it will be interesting to get his views on his recent adventures in New Zealand.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Followers