Total Page Views

Thursday 7 October 2010

Its Thursday - Brew Day-1. Also Curry Night

I have decided that tomorrow Friday 8 Oct 10 will be another brew day. Although the ingredients that I have are a little limited it will be a good opportunity to use up some of the older ones. When I first started malt extract brewing last year I bought far to many hops. I didn't really appreciate the quantities that would be required. I have gradually working through them ever since. However, once again I digress. I will be attempting an amber bitter with an ABV of about 3.8%. So it is the usual routine. Boil about 23 litres of water today and leave to cool overnight. Tomorrow I will boil up the light dried malt extract with the crystal malt and hops. When the wort drops below 30C I will pitch the yeast and place the fermenting vessel in the cupboard and wait for it to do its thing. It is still fascinating to know that the yeast will eat the sugar in the malt and then belch CO2 gas and poo alcohol. How cool is that?
WILL I MAKE ANY MORE MISTAKES. READ TOMORROWS POSTING AND FIND OUT.


Curry Night I will meet some of the usual suspects tonight at The Staple Hill Oak and consume some sort of curry and a few pints of real ale. I expect we will talk our usual bullocks but we will have a good time. Don't know what curry I will have though. Their menu is changing on 20 Oct so I am looking forward to seeing some different curries then. Weatherspoon's will be holding a Beer and Cider festival from 27 Oct - 14 Nov. The beer will only be £1.89 a pint. With my Camra/Weatherspoon's voucher that equates to £1.49 per pint. Oh happy days!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Followers